Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Review: The Dragons of Chiril

The Dragons of Chiril, by Donita K. Paul, is the story of a young girl, Tipper, who is left to take care of a failing household when her father mysteriously disappears. Her mother, though loving and kind, is quite eccentric and seems to think that the missing man is still around. Eventually Tipper finds out that her father is visiting her mother, but only sporadically because his body is trapped between two places, and Tipper unknowingly broke the gate when selling sculptures to pay for household costs. She, along with an unlikely group of friends must journey to reclaim these missing statues to save her father, and the world.

I really enjoyed the book, the only complaint I have is that although it takes place in a different world, there is little to no explanation of the different creatures and hierarchies and countries. The ending is also rather abrupt in my opinion, but I found out that this is the first of a series, and is also a follow up of another series Paul wrote. I assume that she expected people to read the other series first, and that everything that I didn't know about the world is explained in that first series. I liked the characters and storyline, and am eager to see how it continues to develop in the rest of the series!

*I recieved this book for free from the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

No comments: